Meriam Ibrahim welcomed to NH; family says U.S. is offering asylum
Meriam Ibrahim watches her husband Daniel Wani give an interview at the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport in Manchester on Thursday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
“Thank you so much,” her husband, Daniel Wani of Manchester, said to a horde of reporters while tears streamed down his cheeks. “I am so relieved.”
Daniel Wani, a U.S. citizen since 2005, met his wife on a trip to Sudan in 2011. He went to Sudan last summer to arrange for his wife and child to move to New Hampshire, where the Wani brothers immigrated in 1998 after fleeing the war-torn African country.
The family flew from Rome to Philadelphia on Thursday, then to New Hampshire.
Ibrahim’s sentence drew international condemnation. New Hampshire Sens. Jeanne Shaheen and Kelly Ayotte intervened on the family’s behalf to secure Ibrahim’s release.
READER COMMENTS: 22
- Drew Cline: A few takeaways from Tuesday's Republican primaries - 4
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 3
- Drew Cline: NH's campaign finance laws are a nonsensical mess - 2
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 5
- Drew Cline: Andrew Hemingway, a young candidate with a future and a past - 6
- Annie Kuster has the distinction of being John Bolton's first ad target - 10
- Drew Cline: Bob Smith's three 'p's': Principle, platform, party - 4
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond