Another View - Charles Lane: Your money is being spent by dead people
In practice, however, Congress and the President have almost no such fiscal latitude. The vast majority of anticipated tax proceeds, roughly 80 percent at present, are already committed to be spent — on programs such as Social Security and Medicare and in interest on the national debt — before the House and Senate convene each January.
Rather, the point is to restore a long-term balance between spending and revenue so that the federal government can invest in new priorities without further indebting an already dangerously indebted country.
A government that lives within its means would be freer to stimulate the economy during recessions or to devote more resources to the needs of poor children — as opposed to maintaining the current consumption of older middle- and upper-middle-class voters, which is the unstated but actual purpose of the status quo.
As the intellectually sterile election campaigns currently underway show, however, few politicians, if any, have figured out how to express Steuerle’s combination of realism and optimism and sell it to voters. The future might belong to the one who finally does.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads