Home » News » Public Safety
Fire claims life of man in Claremont
The fire at 11 Warren St. was reported at 9:24 p.m. Sunday. Heavy smoke was pouring from the residence when firefighters arrived and broke a first floor window to get inside.
They immediately found the man on the floor and took him out to a waiting ambulance. He was transported to Valley Regional Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Officials said the man's name will be released after an autopsy, scheduled today a the Office of the State Medical Examiner in Concord.
Preliminary indications are that the fire originated in a first floor bedroom and was caused by careless use and/or disposal of smoking materials, according to New Hampshire State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan and Claremont Fire Chief Rick Bergeron.
No working smoke detectors were located in the home, Degnan said in a news release.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding