Home » News » Public Safety
Fire claims life of man in Claremont
The fire at 11 Warren St. was reported at 9:24 p.m. Sunday. Heavy smoke was pouring from the residence when firefighters arrived and broke a first floor window to get inside.
They immediately found the man on the floor and took him out to a waiting ambulance. He was transported to Valley Regional Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Officials said the man's name will be released after an autopsy, scheduled today a the Office of the State Medical Examiner in Concord.
Preliminary indications are that the fire originated in a first floor bedroom and was caused by careless use and/or disposal of smoking materials, according to New Hampshire State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan and Claremont Fire Chief Rick Bergeron.
No working smoke detectors were located in the home, Degnan said in a news release.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Report due soon on alleged abuse at neuro-rehab centers - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 0
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers