Home » News » Public Safety
Wilton's Island Street Bridge repairs on schedule
The Island Street Bridge in Wilton is expected to reopen on schedule on August 17, after a six-week closure as the bridge was rebuilt. (Kathleen Baglio Humphreys)
The bridge links Route 101A to downtown Wilton’s Main Street and Route 31. Detours take commuters miles out of their way.
Project Manager Brian Emmons from TBuck Construction said, “We are completely on schedule.” He expects the bridge to be reopened by 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 17.
According to Emmons, the bridge needed more rehab to the existing abutments than expected. The new concrete deck has been poured and the sidewalks and curbs are complete.
Magic Mirror Salon owner Kathryn Rockwood said, “Many of my customers have been a few minutes late because they forget the bridge is out.”
“I have not noticed a big change because summer is my slow time. I’m glad it’s being done now instead of the fall when business picks up and if it lingered into the holidays that would be bad,” said Doug Nelson, owner of Nelson’s Candy on Main Street.
Before the construction, large trucks were restricted from traveling down Main Street but with the bridge out of service they now head through the business area.
Work began on the bridge June 9 with one lane traffic while detour signs went up by July 7, putting it out of commission for six weeks.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 0
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 0
- Dartmouth gets 10 picks on All-Ivy team - 0
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection