action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies

CAPTURED

Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Jarrett Michael Cote

Jarrett M. Cote

Sep 18, 2014

Stevens

CAPTURED

Christopher Stevens

Sep 4, 2014

Home » News » Crime

August 05. 2014 10:19PM

Former Fremont man complains about felony theft charges

MANCHESTER — Dain Cantor, 30, who says he is homeless, complained Tuesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division that he thought seven charges of receiving stolen property and one of theft by deception were misdemeanors.

But police prosecutor Sgt. Stephen Reardon told Cantor that his criminal history, which includes a burglary conviction and a previous receiving stolen property conviction, turned the new theft charges into felonies. A third theft-related charge can be brought as a felony.

Cantor is accused of selling seven jewelry items that were not his to Hannoush Jewelers, 950 S. Willow St., for $175 last month. A court document showed a woman called police after finding a door kicked in at her sister’s Holly Avenue residence when she went to the residence to pick up mail for her sister, who was away. A neighbor told police she had seen a red truck, driven by a young man, parked in front of the house.

The theft was discovered July 24. Cantor allegedly sold the missing items July 23. According to the document, a police search on LeadsOnline, an online listing of items pawned or sold, turned up items reported stolen from the residence, along with a photo of the person who sold them and his identification.

The LeadsOnline system, to which the Manchester Police Department subscribes, requires prompt uploading of photos of items sold and of the seller by stores that buy secondhand items.

The prosecutor requested $8,000 cash/surety bail for Cantor, who said: “It’s not realistic that I can post that.” He told Judge Gregory Michael that he has a child and his girlfriend is seven months pregnant.

Michael, noting Cantor has failed to appear in the past, reduced the bail to $5,000 cash/surety. Conditions include no contact with the victim and no contact with Hannoush Jewelers.

Stalking charged

Police said Patrick Largey, 32, who was arrested for allegedly assaulting and threatening his ex-girlfriend at 226 Karatzas Ave. on Monday afternoon, returned to the address about four hours later, after texting the woman that he needed to get his van or he would be homeless, and was charged with stalking.

Largey, who listed his address as 226 Karatzas Ave., is accused of shoving the woman violently, using open hands on her chest, arms and shoulder, and of slamming a bedroom door on her arm, pinching it while he shoved his full weight against the door. He’s also accused of telling her: “I have knives in here, and I will kill everyone who comes through this door.”

After Largey was released on bail, with conditions barring any contact with the alleged victim and requiring him to stay 300 feet away from where she might be, he allegedly texted the woman, saying he was trying to arrange a police escort to get some clean clothes and that he couldn’t go to Karatzas Avenue, but if he didn’t get his vehicle, which was parked there, he would be homeless and have to sleep on the street.

According to the document, the officer who had responded to the original complaint recognized Largey as he drove his vehicle out of the parking lot and made a vehicle stop.

Because Largey allegedly violated his bail conditions, police prosecutor Sgt. Stephen Reardon filed a motion to revoke Largey’s bail and have him held without bail until trial Sept. 9.

A hearing on the motion was set for today, after which a judge will decide whether to revoke Largey’s bail, or to set bail.

Protective order violation

Trial was set Sept. 10 in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division for Amber Morse, 21, of 99 Hanover St., on a charge of violating a protective order.

Morse was ordered Aug. 1 to avoid contact with Elijah Wallace, 21. Police said she violated it by entering Victory Park Monday and sitting opposite Wallace and staring at him.

Judge Gregory Michael asked police prosecutor Sgt. Stephen Reardon: “Do we know who was in the park first?” Reardon said it was the alleged victim.

A court document shows Morse told an officer she didn’t speak to Wallace, but a friend had borrowed her phone and went near Wallace. She said she wanted her phone back so she walked closer to the group he was with.

Michael set bail at $1,000 personal recognizance and told Morse she must not have contact with Wallace.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events