Former Dover man charged in Rochester shooting to be returned from R.I. soon
ROCHESTER – A former Dover man will return to New Hampshire soon after allegedly shooting a 19-year-old along Lafayette Street last week.
A week ago, a warrant was issued for Kerry Joseph, 27, now of 1430 Tremont St., Boston, Mass., on a first-degree assault charge in connection with a shooting outside 40 Lafayette St. just before noon July 29.
The Rhode Island Violent Fugitive Task Force arrested Joseph following an investigation by police and federal officials in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Joseph was arrested with another man -- both were wanted for unrelated out-of-state incidents – in the basement of a home at 327 Sayles Ave., in Pawtucket, R.I. Wednesday morning.
Joseph was charged with being a fugitive from justice on the outstanding New Hampshire warrant for allegedly shooting the 19-year-old in the chest.
During his arraignment in Pawtucket District Court, Joseph waived extradition proceedings Wednesday, according to a release by Rhode Island authorities.
Police Capt. Gary Boudreau said he is trying to determine when Joseph will return to the state. He said deputies from the Strafford County Sheriff's Office can pick him up “right away” since he waived extradition.
Boudreau said there are times when police do not know the outcome until the person returns to the state.
“(It) depends on a variety of factors,” Boudreau said.
Police believe the shooting was not random as Joseph allegedly knew the 19-year-old man who was shot in a crowded residential neighborhood in the downtown. Afterwards, Joseph allegedly fled on foot and left the state.
As of last week, the injured man was still recovering from the life threatening injuries at Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine. He was last listed in stable condition, according to police, who has not released his identity.
“We are not releasing name of the victim, it has been our practice to not release the names of victims in crimes,” Boudreau said in an e-mail.