Home » News » Public Safety
Somersworth firefighters respond to 3 lightning strikes
Firefighters responded at 2:41 p.m. to a report that lightning struck a multistory apartment building at 18 Walnut St. It is owned by Michael Zucino of Somersworth.
At the same time, off-duty firefighters were recalled to respond to lightning strikes at 12 School St. and 99 Union St.
Firefighters found charred surfaces in the attic, a burned out light in the rear corner and multiple electrical breakers tripped. To ensure the fire did not spread, firefighters removed plaster and lathe ceilings in both ends of the building because they were charred and showed increased heat signatures on thermal-imaging cameras.
No damage was found at either of the other lightning strikes, and no one was injured, according to firefighters.
Several highly concentrated thunderstorm cells passed through the area, bringing scattered showers to the state Thursday, according to the National Weather Service.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'