Home » News » Public Safety
Three Stevens High students killed in early-morning Unity crash
Diana Owen of West Unity Road places a flag in a shrine for three teens killed in a car crash in front of her home early Sunday morning. (MEGHAN PIERCE)
Bailey died at the scene, police said, as did two 17-year-olds — one of whom was driving the black 1997 Saab 9000 that split in two when it hit a tree. A 17-year-old passenger suffered life-threatening injuries.
State police were notified of the crash at 2:10 a.m. Sunday.
State Police said it does not appear that drugs or alcohol were factors. The initial investigation revealed that the Saab was traveling northbound on West Unity Road at a high rate of speed when the driver lost control.
The giant oak was in the front yard of Larry and Diana Owen’s home, 758 West Unity Road.
“Otherwise the car would have gone right through our bedroom,” Larry Owen said.
Owen said as far as he could tell, the two girls in the crash were in the back seat. The survivor was writhing on the ground in pain, Larry Owen said.
The owners of Out of the Ordinary pizza restaurant on Pleasant Street in Claremont, where one of the teens worked, brought flowers, candles and other items to create a small shrine.
The crash investigation is being handled by the State Police Collision Analysis & Reconstruction Unit with assistance by the members of New Hampshire State Police, Troop C Barracks. Assisting on scene were members of the Unity Fire & Rescue, and Lempster Fire & Rescue.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too