Deroy Murdock: The myth of the 'do-nothing' Republican Congress
Democratic National Chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, D–Fla., similarly moaned on MSNBC: “The Republicans refuse to do anything.”
In fact, America has a Republican Do Lots House and a Democrat Do Little Senate.
According to its Republican Conference, the Do Lots House this year has adopted 347 bills that await votes in the Do Little Senate. These include serious initiatives to reinvigorate the economy, reduce taxes, speed energy production, slice red tape, expand school choice, extend the flexibility of workers’ hours, enhance federal accountability, and more.
The Senate Democrat leader blocks votes on 347 measures.
Floor votes make vulnerable Democrat senators choose between their often centrist constituents and their typically leftist Big Labor, trial-lawyer, and environmentalist paymasters.
So, Reid shields them by letting nearly every House Republican idea grow mold in his office. Spared the inconvenience of angering either people who cast ballots bearing their names or sign checks payable to their campaigns, Reid lets Democrats be all things to all people.
Meanwhile, the Do Little Senate didn’t await House action. Had Republicans capitulated and passed Obama’s border proposal verbatim, Senate Democrats could not have responded. They fled for vacation at 2:39 p.m.
Among these House bills, 178 passed without opposition, and 98 percent enjoyed bipartisan support. In fact, 55 House-approved bills were introduced by Democrats.
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $11 million requested for priority city school projects - 1
- Berlin considers synthetic marijuana ban - 1
- New year could bring higher costs for members of Claremont Community Center - 0
- Retirement system ruling gets thumbs up from Moody's - 4
- Rates for Hudson recreation programs may be increasing - 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 0
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Palker hat trick paces Bedford triumph - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Furious Celtics' rally falls short - 0
- Bruins stop Predators, 5-3 - 0
- Former President Bush, 90, hospitalized in Texas - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Slandering police: Racism in reverse
Police look for Laconia sub shop robber
Win tickets to see Linkin Park