Deroy Murdock: The myth of the 'do-nothing' Republican Congress
Democratic National Chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, D–Fla., similarly moaned on MSNBC: “The Republicans refuse to do anything.”
In fact, America has a Republican Do Lots House and a Democrat Do Little Senate.
According to its Republican Conference, the Do Lots House this year has adopted 347 bills that await votes in the Do Little Senate. These include serious initiatives to reinvigorate the economy, reduce taxes, speed energy production, slice red tape, expand school choice, extend the flexibility of workers’ hours, enhance federal accountability, and more.
The Senate Democrat leader blocks votes on 347 measures.
Floor votes make vulnerable Democrat senators choose between their often centrist constituents and their typically leftist Big Labor, trial-lawyer, and environmentalist paymasters.
So, Reid shields them by letting nearly every House Republican idea grow mold in his office. Spared the inconvenience of angering either people who cast ballots bearing their names or sign checks payable to their campaigns, Reid lets Democrats be all things to all people.
Meanwhile, the Do Little Senate didn’t await House action. Had Republicans capitulated and passed Obama’s border proposal verbatim, Senate Democrats could not have responded. They fled for vacation at 2:39 p.m.
Among these House bills, 178 passed without opposition, and 98 percent enjoyed bipartisan support. In fact, 55 House-approved bills were introduced by Democrats.
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
- Veterans help build Nashua Habitat home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 0
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 0
- More theft-related charges for Raymond woman - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose