Charles Krauthammer: Amnesty as impeachment bait
First, the charge that Republicans have done nothing is plainly false. Last week, the House of Representatives passed legislation that deals reasonably with this immigrant wave. It changes a 2008 sex-trafficking law never intended for (and inadvertently inviting) mass migration - a change the President himself endorsed before caving to his left and flip-flopping. It also provides funds for emergency processing and assistance to the kids who are here.
"I swore an oath to uphold the laws on the books. ... Now, I know some people want me to bypass Congress and change the [immigration] laws on my own. ... That's not how our Constitution is written" (July 25, 2011).
"If, in fact, I could solve all these problems without passing laws in Congress, then I would do so. But we're also a nation of laws" (Nov. 25, 2013).
Moreover, Obama had control of both houses of Congress during his first two years in office - and did nothing about immigration. So why now?
According to White House leaks, the executive order will be promulgated by summer's end. Time enough to reconsider. Don't do it, Mr. President.
Charles Krauthammer is a columnist for The Washington Post.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG sued over documents in former Rockingham County attorney case - 0
- Town tax rate about to get lower - 0
- Derry Councilors vote to change starting time of meetings: earlier time will be tried for a month - 0
- Police want to know what Goffstown stakeholders think - 0
- Few attend Derry’s meet and greet for new administrator - 0
- Two new tanks would sink nearly obsolete reservoir - 1
- Health costs up for Manchester - 20
- More angst within Nashua Historical Society - 0
- Plan to amend Derry property code subject of hearing - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
- Portsmouth retailer sells goods from across U.S. in a small 'pop-up shop' - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw