action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Amber Blackman

Amber Blackman

Dec 4, 2014

Fugitive of the Week Jonathan Benedict

CAPTURED

Jonathan E. Benedict

Oct 30, 2014

Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies

CAPTURED

Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Home » News » Crime

August 11. 2014 9:24PM

Manchester Crimewatch: Man arrested for yelling obscenities in park refuses to speak at court appearance

MANCHESTER — A homeless man, who had apparently been sleeping in Bronstein Park on Sunday afternoon, woke up and began shouting obscenities, according to police.

Officers on bike patrol were the first to approach the park, where Stephen Ricciato, 61, could be heard shouting obscenities. When approached and told to quiet down, police said, Ricciato ratcheted up his behavior and continued shouting obscenities, even though there were a number of families in the park.

He was told several times to quiet down, but did not stay quiet. After being told he was under arrest, he began struggling with officers. During the effort to get him settled, police said Ricciato spit in the eyes of one of the officers in the transport vehicle and shouted: “F... you. I have hepatitis.” Because of that he was also charged with attempted second-degree assault.

He was arraigned Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on the felony, three misdemeanors of disorderly conduct, and three misdemeanors of resisting arrest stemming from Sunday’s incident, as well as criminal trespass, for sleeping at 351 Chestnut St., the former police station, on the afternoon of July 28.

In contrast to his alleged behavior in the park Sunday, Ricciato remained seated and silent during the arraignment process. He did not respond to Judge William Lyons’ request for comment on the proposed bail, so Lyons set bail at the $2,000 cash/surety requested by a police prosecutor. Among the bail conditions is not returning to Bronstein Park.

Bail hearing set

John Aladegbemi, 34, of 182 Beech St., could enter no plea Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to felony charges of robbery and first-degree assault, so a probable cause hearing was set for Aug. 21 for a judge can determine if there is sufficient evidence to send the case to the Hillsborough County North Grand Jury for possible indictment.

Aladegbemi is accused of stealing the wallet of Kenneth Harzmovitch, 29, while at Harzmovitch’s residence May 11 and of cutting him in the leg during a struggle in the front yard. Harzmovitch claimed Aladegbemi took $300 in cash.

Court documents show Aladegbemi told police that Harzmovitch had tried to rob him of $750 at gunpoint, but Harzmovitch only got $350.

No bail was set for Aladegbemi Monday because police prosecutors filed a motion to revoke Aladegbemi’s bail on 2013 simple assault charges for which Aladegbemi had failed to appear for trial Feb. 19.

Those charges allege Aladegbemi fought Nov. 4, 2013, with Ronald Mariano, 56. Mariano told police he had stayed at Aladegbemi’s Beech Street residence for a while and helped with money, but had moved out and was living at a nearby Beech Street address, Mariano told police.

Aladegbemi came to his new residence and said Mariano owed him money. The two men argued and Algadegbemi is accused of pumching Mariano in the head with a closed fist. Another man broke up that fight, but Mariano said Aladegbemi returned and again punched and kicked him, with the third man intervening again. Bail on the bench warrant issued when Aladegbemi failed to appear for trial carried bail of $1,000 cash/surety. Trial on the assault charges was set for Sept. 21.

The bail revocation hearing is set for Tuesday.

Theft charges are felonies

Because she has previously been convicted of five previous thefts, charges of theft by unauthorized taking were brought as felonies for Zuleika Oquendo, 34, of 19 S. Lincoln St.

Oquendo is accused of taking almost $87 in merchandise from one store at the Mall of New Hampshire and almost $454 from a second store Friday.

There was also an electronic bench warrant from Salem District Division on 2013 charges of willful concealment and controlled drug act from June 17.

Oquendo said there is something wrong with the Salem Court records because, she said: “I paid that fine.”

She wanted personal recognizance bail, saying: “I’ve always gone to court.”

Judge William Lyons set bail on the Manchester charges at $2,000 cash/surety, There is a $1,000 cash/surety bail on the Salem warrant and the Salem court date is Sept. 17.

A probable cause hearing was set for Aug. 21 on the Manchester charges, so a judge can determine if there is sufficient evidence to send the case to the Hillsborough County North Grand Jury for possible indictment.

Three felony drug charges

Gregory Lavoie, 36, of 44 Bryant Road, could enter no pleas Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to three felony drug charges, so a probable cause hearing was set for Aug. 21. A judge will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to send the cases to Hillsborough County North Grand Jury for possible indictment.

Lavoie had been sought on a warrant for sale of oxycodone in 2012. When arrested Friday, he allegedly had cocaine in his possession and heroin to sell.

Bail was set a $15,000 cash/surety on the charges of sale of a narcotic in 2012 and possession of a narcotic with intent to sell and possession of a narcotic from Friday’s arrest. Police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier requested that bail conditions include a waiver of extradition and a hearing on the source of any funds offered for bail.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events