Home » News » Public Safety
State puts out the call for corrections officers
Corrections Corporal Craig Orlando speaks with prospective employee Tyler Merrill of Litchfield at a New Hampshire Department of Corrections is holding a job fair in Manchester on Thursday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
Statewide, Jeff Lyons, state corrections department spokesman, said the DOC is looking to employ a total of 66 correctional officers — 40 at the Concord prison, 20 in Berlin and six at the women’s prison in Goffstown.
A contingent of DOC corrections officers and state, DOC and union officials — George Copadis, commissioner of New Hampshire Employment Security and David W. Laughton, Local 633 secretary-treasurer were on hand in Manchester Thursday. At mid-morning, they outnumbered job seekers about 2 to 1.
Applicants must be at least 20 years old and have a high school diploma or a G.E.D. equivalent. No experience is required, although experience in correctional work such as with military police is desirable for a “corrections officer trainee,” a full-time position that pays between $32,365 and $37,648. The trainees earn another $1,300 annually in hazard duty pay.
“I would like to change my career path,” said Mutungi who was a teacher back in Kenya.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads