Home » Opinion » Editorials
Pick Walt: Let's have Havenstein
Running a state is a difficult business, and Havenstein has the experience, judgment and temperament to do that job very well. As CEO of BAE Systems, New Hampshire’s largest manufacturer, he cut expenses and shored up a flagging pension system. Do those sound like skills today’s governor could use?
Last fall, Bloomberg ranked New Hampshire’s as the No. 5 most under-funded state pension system in the country.
Our economy, once the envy of New England, is struggling. High business taxes keep out-of-state companies from moving here, while misguided regulations keep health insurance and electricity costs astronomically high.
Financially, New Hampshire is in bad shape. Gov. Hassan has continued the status quo, actually advocating spending a recent small surplus rather than saving it as the treasurer recommended.
It has been a long time since New Hampshire has had a take-charge governor who worked to put the state on rock-solid financial footing. We think Havenstein would be that kind of governor.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads