Home » Opinion » Editorials
Pick Walt: Let's have Havenstein
Running a state is a difficult business, and Havenstein has the experience, judgment and temperament to do that job very well. As CEO of BAE Systems, New Hampshire’s largest manufacturer, he cut expenses and shored up a flagging pension system. Do those sound like skills today’s governor could use?
Last fall, Bloomberg ranked New Hampshire’s as the No. 5 most under-funded state pension system in the country.
Our economy, once the envy of New England, is struggling. High business taxes keep out-of-state companies from moving here, while misguided regulations keep health insurance and electricity costs astronomically high.
Financially, New Hampshire is in bad shape. Gov. Hassan has continued the status quo, actually advocating spending a recent small surplus rather than saving it as the treasurer recommended.
It has been a long time since New Hampshire has had a take-charge governor who worked to put the state on rock-solid financial footing. We think Havenstein would be that kind of governor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua Senior Center members want budget woes discussed openly - 0
- Derry Town Council backs Conservation Commission in land use tax vote - 0
- Francestown Town Hall repairs nearing completion - 0
- Franklin eyes consolidating city, school offices - 0
- Fines proposed for alleged labor violations at Unity Elementary School construction site - 1
- Group has plans to spruce up downtown Nashua - 0
- More than $5 million in surplus may offset Nashua tax rate - 1
- Gas pipeline proposal prompts Hollis meeting - 1
- Manchester aldermanic committee supports ordinance banning 'spice' - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'