Another View -- Dorothea Jensen: My meeting with comedian and gentleman, Robin Williams
Years ago, my husband and I were in Los Angeles, visiting our son, Adam. Adam asked if we wanted to go see a Robin Williams comedy performance at a large theater in L.A. He said he could get us VIP tickets. We, of course, accepted.
Of course, some of what he said was what we used to call “blue.” I noted that one of Adam’s friends kept glancing uneasily at me as if afraid I was offended by what I was hearing. I patted his knee and said, in between helpless laughter, “Don’t worry, I grew up in the ’60s. This is nothing I haven’t heard before.”
When the performance was over, Adam said our VIP tickets entitled us to go backstage to meet Williams. We rushed to do this, and found ourselves in a room jammed with “beautiful people,” all dressed in the requisite “hip” L.A. black clothing, and all well-botoxed. I think there were celebrities in the herd, but I didn’t recognize anyone. I figured that our chances of actually meeting Williams were low, given the density and “celebrity” of the crowd.
Then someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was Robin Williams. “I’m sorry we were interrupted,” he said. “Please go on with what you were saying.”
After he moved on, I thought about what he had done. It was probably quite simple for him to find me. I was the “sore thumb” in that crowd: My clothes were anything but black, and my face anything but botoxed. I’m sure it was clear that I was a VIP in ticket only. But Robin Williams came to find me again anyway.
May he rest in peace.
Dorothea Jensen is an award-winning author who lives in Contoocook.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- David M. Shribman: Today, give thanks to Daniel Webster - 1
- George Will: Thanks for the entertainment, America - 0
- John Stossel: Be thankful for American property rights - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 13
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 2
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 0
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers