Another View -- Dorothea Jensen: My meeting with comedian and gentleman, Robin Williams
Years ago, my husband and I were in Los Angeles, visiting our son, Adam. Adam asked if we wanted to go see a Robin Williams comedy performance at a large theater in L.A. He said he could get us VIP tickets. We, of course, accepted.
Of course, some of what he said was what we used to call “blue.” I noted that one of Adam’s friends kept glancing uneasily at me as if afraid I was offended by what I was hearing. I patted his knee and said, in between helpless laughter, “Don’t worry, I grew up in the ’60s. This is nothing I haven’t heard before.”
When the performance was over, Adam said our VIP tickets entitled us to go backstage to meet Williams. We rushed to do this, and found ourselves in a room jammed with “beautiful people,” all dressed in the requisite “hip” L.A. black clothing, and all well-botoxed. I think there were celebrities in the herd, but I didn’t recognize anyone. I figured that our chances of actually meeting Williams were low, given the density and “celebrity” of the crowd.
Then someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was Robin Williams. “I’m sorry we were interrupted,” he said. “Please go on with what you were saying.”
After he moved on, I thought about what he had done. It was probably quite simple for him to find me. I was the “sore thumb” in that crowd: My clothes were anything but black, and my face anything but botoxed. I’m sure it was clear that I was a VIP in ticket only. But Robin Williams came to find me again anyway.
May he rest in peace.
Dorothea Jensen is an award-winning author who lives in Contoocook.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Havenstein's Pledge: It's a sound business plan - 1
- 'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH - 25
- Personhood Controversial? Really? - 29
- Pocket Constitutions: Windham's non-scandal - 15
- Obama's escalation: In Iraq, too broad a fight - 14
- NH's prison population: The real story behind a failed law - 12
- Constitutional thought: Enter our student essay contest - 0
- Hawkish Shaheen: What war profiteers? - 43
- Walt's new Pledge: Planning for a better NH budget - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond