Another View -- Dorothea Jensen: My meeting with comedian and gentleman, Robin Williams
Years ago, my husband and I were in Los Angeles, visiting our son, Adam. Adam asked if we wanted to go see a Robin Williams comedy performance at a large theater in L.A. He said he could get us VIP tickets. We, of course, accepted.
Of course, some of what he said was what we used to call “blue.” I noted that one of Adam’s friends kept glancing uneasily at me as if afraid I was offended by what I was hearing. I patted his knee and said, in between helpless laughter, “Don’t worry, I grew up in the ’60s. This is nothing I haven’t heard before.”
When the performance was over, Adam said our VIP tickets entitled us to go backstage to meet Williams. We rushed to do this, and found ourselves in a room jammed with “beautiful people,” all dressed in the requisite “hip” L.A. black clothing, and all well-botoxed. I think there were celebrities in the herd, but I didn’t recognize anyone. I figured that our chances of actually meeting Williams were low, given the density and “celebrity” of the crowd.
Then someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was Robin Williams. “I’m sorry we were interrupted,” he said. “Please go on with what you were saying.”
After he moved on, I thought about what he had done. It was probably quite simple for him to find me. I was the “sore thumb” in that crowd: My clothes were anything but black, and my face anything but botoxed. I’m sure it was clear that I was a VIP in ticket only. But Robin Williams came to find me again anyway.
May he rest in peace.
Dorothea Jensen is an award-winning author who lives in Contoocook.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Politics of choice: A word stripped of its meaning - 8
- Cataldo for Senate: A keeper for District 6 - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 20
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 49
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 5
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate