In Hillsborough, history comes alive at weekend festival
The four locations included President Franklin Pierce’s homestead, historical reenactments at Jones Road, hands-on history at the historic center and music and discussions downtown. A short trolley ride took visitors to the sites or self-guided tours of many historic buildings.
Civil War re-enactors with the 5th Mass. Battery looked forward to the event.
“This is a lot of fun,” she said. “For me it’s about remembering and helping to educate the public. They are so willing to learn.” She is with the 6th Maine battery.
Dean Malissa visited many of the sites, portraying Gen. George Washington with an uncanny likeness. He engaged the audience with stories of events and battles leading up to American independence. Malissa is the sole portrayer of President Washington at the first president’s Mount Vernon estate in Virginia.
Eight-year-old Aden Henry from Hillsborough said: “I made soap, butter and ice cream, and I liked to wash the clothes,” he said. “The carriage ride was fun.”
READER COMMENTS: 6
- No Columbus Day celebration, but we'll always have our Festivus poles - 3
- You don't have to be a kid to earn a time-out for your actions - 4
- Publisher's Notebook: Cigars, memories and bending phones - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Not every human gets elected, but that chicken certainly pecked away at the legal system - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Voting is your stamp on the future - 2
- New faces, proven veterans will assure Union Leader's solid hold on the news - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A tough hike to see AMC 'croo,' but finding 'Quos' made the day - 0
- Publisher's Notebook: The candidate who can spell the name of every 80's sports car wins - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs