In Hillsborough, history comes alive at weekend festival
The four locations included President Franklin Pierce’s homestead, historical reenactments at Jones Road, hands-on history at the historic center and music and discussions downtown. A short trolley ride took visitors to the sites or self-guided tours of many historic buildings.
Civil War re-enactors with the 5th Mass. Battery looked forward to the event.
“This is a lot of fun,” she said. “For me it’s about remembering and helping to educate the public. They are so willing to learn.” She is with the 6th Maine battery.
Dean Malissa visited many of the sites, portraying Gen. George Washington with an uncanny likeness. He engaged the audience with stories of events and battles leading up to American independence. Malissa is the sole portrayer of President Washington at the first president’s Mount Vernon estate in Virginia.
Eight-year-old Aden Henry from Hillsborough said: “I made soap, butter and ice cream, and I liked to wash the clothes,” he said. “The carriage ride was fun.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 0
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 18
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 24
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'