In Hillsborough, history comes alive at weekend festival
The four locations included President Franklin Pierce’s homestead, historical reenactments at Jones Road, hands-on history at the historic center and music and discussions downtown. A short trolley ride took visitors to the sites or self-guided tours of many historic buildings.
Civil War re-enactors with the 5th Mass. Battery looked forward to the event.
“This is a lot of fun,” she said. “For me it’s about remembering and helping to educate the public. They are so willing to learn.” She is with the 6th Maine battery.
Dean Malissa visited many of the sites, portraying Gen. George Washington with an uncanny likeness. He engaged the audience with stories of events and battles leading up to American independence. Malissa is the sole portrayer of President Washington at the first president’s Mount Vernon estate in Virginia.
Eight-year-old Aden Henry from Hillsborough said: “I made soap, butter and ice cream, and I liked to wash the clothes,” he said. “The carriage ride was fun.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Politics of choice: A word stripped of its meaning - 8
- Cataldo for Senate: A keeper for District 6 - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 20
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 49
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 5
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?