Jonah Goldberg: The race to be wrong on Ferguson
Michael Brown, an 18-year-old African-American man, was shot by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson. The Washington Post had more on the story about what one witness called an “execution-style slaying”:
“Wilson cursed at the pair and ordered them onto the sidewalk, Bosley told The Washington Post. When they refused to comply, he said, the officer grabbed Brown’s throat through the window of his cruiser, pulled out a pistol and shot him. Wilson then chased Brown, shot him in the back and shot him five to six more times as Brown’s hands were raised, Bosley said.”
But don’t tell that to the legions of too-often-interchangeable activists, commentators and reporters who have convinced themselves that we know exactly what happened, or at least all we need to know.
Of course he does.
The New Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam claim that their groups control the situation in Ferguson. And the Ku Klux Klan is dipping its pillowcase-covered beak into this mess now, rounding out the whole legion of doom.
Obama, as is his wont, took the bait. His comments Friday were defensible on the merits, but what was the point? He clearly mollified no one and exposed himself, once again, to being dragged along by events.
Jonah Goldberg is a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and editor-at-large of National Review Online.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Study would make Nashua less of a one-way ride - 0
- Keene officials recommend clearing Robin Williams memorial before Pumpkin Festival - 2
- Salem officials mum on police chief suspension; selectman alleges vulgar insult at meeting - 11
- Nashua to use surplus to reduce tax rate - 0
- Franklin school-city consolidation to be studied further - 0
- Nashua aldermen override mayor's veto on police contract that will raise patrolman salaries - 0
- Manchester officials searching for central preschool facility building - 2
- After 12 years, Derry CFO steps down from position - 0
- Alleged conflict of interest among Timberlane board member's issues - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
- Nabbed and then cleared by feds, NH man still intends to sell rhino trophy - 0
- Developer says Alexandria wrong to deny tower - 0
- Salem police target ski-jacket thief who used tree branch to hide license plate - 0
- Nashua man was not Mirandized following shooting by police, court documents say - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond