Jonah Goldberg: The race to be wrong on Ferguson
Michael Brown, an 18-year-old African-American man, was shot by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson. The Washington Post had more on the story about what one witness called an “execution-style slaying”:
“Wilson cursed at the pair and ordered them onto the sidewalk, Bosley told The Washington Post. When they refused to comply, he said, the officer grabbed Brown’s throat through the window of his cruiser, pulled out a pistol and shot him. Wilson then chased Brown, shot him in the back and shot him five to six more times as Brown’s hands were raised, Bosley said.”
But don’t tell that to the legions of too-often-interchangeable activists, commentators and reporters who have convinced themselves that we know exactly what happened, or at least all we need to know.
Of course he does.
The New Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam claim that their groups control the situation in Ferguson. And the Ku Klux Klan is dipping its pillowcase-covered beak into this mess now, rounding out the whole legion of doom.
Obama, as is his wont, took the bait. His comments Friday were defensible on the merits, but what was the point? He clearly mollified no one and exposed himself, once again, to being dragged along by events.
Jonah Goldberg is a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and editor-at-large of National Review Online.
READER COMMENTS: 14
- To remember the POW and MIA: Recognition Day ceremony in Boscawen - 0
- Goffstown High grad finishes Air Force training - 0
- JFK picture on side of Dallas tour bus draws ire, threats - 0
- Yellowstone tourist fined for crashed drone - 0
- FBI chief claims killer of Foley and Sotloff is identified - 0
- FBI says militant in beheading videos ID'd; about a dozen from U.S. have fought with militants in Syria - 0
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on Islamic State in Syria - 16
- Obama to make statement after airstrikes against Islamic State, White House official says - 3
- US opens new front against Islamic State with airstrikes in Syria - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?