U.S. opens criminal probe into death
Foley was beheaded by the Islamist militant group Islamic State, an act shown in a video released on Tuesday in which the group called for the United States to end its air strikes in Iraq. President Barack Obama responded that the United States would be relentless in fighting the organization despite the killing.
In addition to the FBI and Justice Department, British government agencies, including the counter-intelligence agency known as MI-5, were working on the case. MI-5 has devoted considerable effort to identify and trace Britons fighting with militants in Iraq and Syria.
U.S. forces tried to rescue Foley and other American hostages during a secret mission into Syria and exchanged gunfire with Islamic State militants only to discover the captives were not there, officials said.
U.S. officials said U.S. special forces and other military personnel, backed up by helicopters and planes, dropped into the target zone in Syria and engaged in a firefight with Islamic State militants, several of whom were killed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Extended Unity school project nearly completed - 0
- Saint Anselm commemorates 125 years with new art exhibit - 0
- Pinkerton gala marks school's 200th anniversary - 0
- Inventive teens in national spotlight today - 0
- Exchange program draws Chinese students to Pinkerton - 0
- Manchester business leaders urged to get involved in schools - 10
- School district at odds over distribution of 'pocket Constitutions' - 21
- New evaluations developed for Nashua teachers - 0
- Degree program offers savings to Manchester teachers - 3
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 6
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- Manchester man arrested in Holiday Inn Express robbery - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 10
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 4
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 3
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 12
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser