Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf
After about half a decade of expensive futility, I finally sold my clubs at a yard sale. It was hard, but eventually I felt as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders, and I don’t just mean the bag.
It has dawned on the doyens of the sport that expensive, time-consuming exasperation is a tough sell. Some have proposed attracting younger people by tweaking the ancient rules; one idea is to let beginners putt into a 15-inch-wide hole instead of the current 4.25-inch receptacle. They’ll have to make it big enough for a beach ball to lure me back.
Obama might be well-advised to follow Bush’s example. Knowing how hard it was to go cold-turkey myself, though, I’d be surprised if he did so immediately. He appears to be intent, still, on the maddening mission of handicap reduction.
Charles Lane is an editorial writer for The Washington Post.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Merrimack finance director taking on more roles while town manager on temporary leave - 0
- Study would make Nashua less of a one-way ride - 0
- Keene officials recommend clearing Robin Williams memorial before Pumpkin Festival - 2
- Salem officials mum on police chief suspension; selectman alleges vulgar insult at meeting - 11
- Nashua to use surplus to reduce tax rate - 0
- Franklin school-city consolidation to be studied further - 0
- Nashua aldermen override mayor's veto on police contract that will raise patrolman salaries - 0
- Manchester officials searching for central preschool facility building - 2
- After 12 years, Derry CFO steps down from position - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser