All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In

Claremont home saved from garage fire

CLAREMONT - Investigators believe recently-used stain rags left in a garage spontaneously ignited, starting a fire early Saturday that firefighters contained before it spread to the house, the Claremont Fire Department said.

According to a press release, the owner of the house at 22 Chestnut St. noticed smoke in the hallway around 4:30 a.m.

He checked the garage and found severe heat and more smoke, then went back to the house to wake his family and get everbody outside.

Firefighters contained the fire around 6 a.m., but work continued to reach old asphalt shingles that were burning under a steel roof deck installed recently, the release said.

The last firefighters left the scene around 9 a.m. There were no injuries.

The fire department said the house had some minor smoke and heat damage.

action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle - Public Safety