Mixed emotions on Move-In Day at Plymouth State
From left, Valerie, Christopher, and Chris Hamilton at PSU Move-In Day Monday. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
It was Move-In Day at the university, and the campus was buzzing with students, parents, and PSU athletic team members, who were helping the students move in.
“Please don’t ask, I’ve been doing so well today,” said Valerie, who was sending her first child to college at a place that is too far to frequently visit from the family’s home in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
“Of course it’s exciting, but it is very sad,” Valerie Hamilton said.
Chris Hamilton nodded. “I guess we’ll find out how we feel when he’s not around the next couple of weeks,” he said.
Inside a second-floor room at Smith, one of Hamilton’s classmates agreed with him. Rebecca Rand, 18, of Litchfield was setting up her room as her new roommate looked on. Her parents had helped her move in earlier in the day.
“Nope,” she said, laughing.
“Are you kidding? I’m going to have so much fun here,” she said.
Robin and Michael Hodge of Peterborough walked away from Smith, having just helped their 18-year-old daughter, freshman Meaghan Hodge, move into the residence hall.
Robin Hodge said she was happy for her daughter, and also sad.
“It’s a little rough,” she said. “It’s hard to lose her, but she’s always dreamed of this.”
“He’s close enough so we can always visit him,” said Valentine, who lives in Lyndon, Vt. “My wife and I will be fine.”
“Beautiful day, so much excitement and energy and it’s such a wonderful time to see the campus, said Steen. “This has gone incredibly smooth.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Real bribery at the voting booth - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic - 0
- Rep. Stephen Shurtleff: What NH can accomplish when we cooperate in Concord - 2
- Brian Bouchard's NH Legal Perspective: Cloudy with a chance of trade secret forfeiture - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- John Stossel: Making legal immigration easier would help America - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 6
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem