Home » News » Public Safety
2 die in North Hampton plane crash
Members of the state police and local fire departments were on scene Monday morning at the crash of a small plane that resulted in two fatalities in North Hampton. (MIKE LAWRENCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
The North Hampton Fire Department says the crash happened around 10:50 a.m. near the Hampton Airfield.
The Federal Aviation Administration said the Cessna 180 crashed after taking off, killing both people on board the single-engine propeller craft.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating what caused the plan to crash nose-first in the woods not far from the runway. The tail of the plane was visible sticking up in a grove of trees inside a large area cordoned off with police tape.
“It’s just an awful tragedy,” said Dana Thurston, a pilot from Stratham who said he frequently uses the seacoast airfield. “The guy was a good pilot and it was a solid airplane.”
Thurston declined to give the pilot’s name, which authorities expected to release later Monday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with school - 0
- UPDATED: Driver killed in crash on Route 101A in Amherst is identified - 1
- Need a job? The NH State Prison wants you - 0
- Man dies, toddler rescued in Manchester apartment fire - 0
- Motorist struck by car while changing tire on I-93 in Londonderry - 2
- Man, 60, found dead in burned Manchester apartment building; 1-year-old boy rescued - 1
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 35
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA: Lancers beat South - 0
- College Football: St. Anselm football loses third straight game - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Tough decisions loom for Legion - 0
- A good first impression - 0
- NHIAA: Exeter keeps Memorial attack at bay - 0
- Windham clinches first with huge win - 0
- NHIAA: Campbell thumps Brady - 0
- NHIAA: Brummett scores 5 for Derryfield - 0
- NHIAA: Souhegan advances in OT - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood