Firefly dress could set the world on fire
The Luminous Firefly Dress, designed by Southern New Hampshire University professor Harry Umen, MIT Media Lab fellow Dr. Angela Chang, and Manchester seamstress Deborah Caldwell, does more than change color. It puts on its own light show — you know, like a firefly.
Manchester lost a great man last year when Joe Sullivan, a New Hampshire Union Leader sports columnist and beloved Manchester High School West English teacher, died last September. I had the pleasure of working alongside Sullivan and his good humor here at the newspaper, and I regularly meet his former students and colleagues who tell me what a wonderful teacher he was.
Dumais is part of a group of current and retired faculty members that created the Joe Sullivan Creative Writing Scholarship in Sullivan’s honor. The annual award is given to a West senior who embodies passion and exuberance through writing.
Standing at the starting line for Millennium Running’s inaugural NH-XC Festival two Saturdays ago was terrifying, exciting, and did I mention terrifying? It had been nearly 20 years since I ran the 3.1-mile course at Derryfield Park. It was as difficult as I remember, but crossing the finish line was just as exhilarating.
NH365.ORG Event of the Week
This week is your last chance to enjoy a Sunday afternoon concert at Stark Park, and this act is a finale you will not want to miss.
When Duckoff described Victoria Fatukasi to me, I immediately knew he was talking about the young woman who occasionally sings at Manchester Christian Church. The beauty and power of her voice is astounding, and it is no surprise she took first place in the Bedford Rotary Club’s Regional Idol Scholarship Competition last winter.
If you have an interesting event for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Singing a nationwide national anthem at St. Anselm College in Manchester - 0
- Manchester teachers union has contract concerns - 0
- Litchfield school superintendent surprised by board's decision - 0
- State, Lyndeborough agree on school bond repayment plan - 0
- Portsmouth school district undergoing widespread review of sexual harassment response - 0
- Futures Lab offers a glimpse at college, career - 0
- Scholarship established at Kimball Union Academy to honor slain journalist - 0
- Claremont extends school days after renovation delays - 0
- Merrimack teacher earns NH All-Star Educator award - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 0
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown calls on Shaheen to back bill targeting ISIS - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats