Firefly dress could set the world on fire
The Luminous Firefly Dress, designed by Southern New Hampshire University professor Harry Umen, MIT Media Lab fellow Dr. Angela Chang, and Manchester seamstress Deborah Caldwell, does more than change color. It puts on its own light show — you know, like a firefly.
Manchester lost a great man last year when Joe Sullivan, a New Hampshire Union Leader sports columnist and beloved Manchester High School West English teacher, died last September. I had the pleasure of working alongside Sullivan and his good humor here at the newspaper, and I regularly meet his former students and colleagues who tell me what a wonderful teacher he was.
Dumais is part of a group of current and retired faculty members that created the Joe Sullivan Creative Writing Scholarship in Sullivan’s honor. The annual award is given to a West senior who embodies passion and exuberance through writing.
Standing at the starting line for Millennium Running’s inaugural NH-XC Festival two Saturdays ago was terrifying, exciting, and did I mention terrifying? It had been nearly 20 years since I ran the 3.1-mile course at Derryfield Park. It was as difficult as I remember, but crossing the finish line was just as exhilarating.
NH365.ORG Event of the Week
This week is your last chance to enjoy a Sunday afternoon concert at Stark Park, and this act is a finale you will not want to miss.
When Duckoff described Victoria Fatukasi to me, I immediately knew he was talking about the young woman who occasionally sings at Manchester Christian Church. The beauty and power of her voice is astounding, and it is no surprise she took first place in the Bedford Rotary Club’s Regional Idol Scholarship Competition last winter.
If you have an interesting event for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rep. Stephen Shurtleff: What NH can accomplish when we cooperate in Concord - 0
- Brian Bouchard's NH Legal Perspective: Cloudy with a chance of trade secret forfeiture - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- John Stossel: Making legal immigration easier would help America - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 6
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem