Firefly dress could set the world on fire
The Luminous Firefly Dress, designed by Southern New Hampshire University professor Harry Umen, MIT Media Lab fellow Dr. Angela Chang, and Manchester seamstress Deborah Caldwell, does more than change color. It puts on its own light show — you know, like a firefly.
Manchester lost a great man last year when Joe Sullivan, a New Hampshire Union Leader sports columnist and beloved Manchester High School West English teacher, died last September. I had the pleasure of working alongside Sullivan and his good humor here at the newspaper, and I regularly meet his former students and colleagues who tell me what a wonderful teacher he was.
Dumais is part of a group of current and retired faculty members that created the Joe Sullivan Creative Writing Scholarship in Sullivan’s honor. The annual award is given to a West senior who embodies passion and exuberance through writing.
Standing at the starting line for Millennium Running’s inaugural NH-XC Festival two Saturdays ago was terrifying, exciting, and did I mention terrifying? It had been nearly 20 years since I ran the 3.1-mile course at Derryfield Park. It was as difficult as I remember, but crossing the finish line was just as exhilarating.
NH365.ORG Event of the Week
This week is your last chance to enjoy a Sunday afternoon concert at Stark Park, and this act is a finale you will not want to miss.
When Duckoff described Victoria Fatukasi to me, I immediately knew he was talking about the young woman who occasionally sings at Manchester Christian Church. The beauty and power of her voice is astounding, and it is no surprise she took first place in the Bedford Rotary Club’s Regional Idol Scholarship Competition last winter.
If you have an interesting event for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 28
- Veterans Count, for less: Feds shred a program that works - 3
- Salem's town clown: Nothing is the public's business - 3
- Havenstein's Pledge: It's a sound business plan - 2
- 'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH - 30
- Personhood Controversial? Really? - 33
- Pocket Constitutions: Windham's non-scandal - 16
- Obama's escalation: In Iraq, too broad a fight - 14
- NH's prison population: The real story behind a failed law - 12
- Constitutional thought: Enter our student essay contest - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 13
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 17
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan