All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Prosecutor says woman shot in drug raid will not face federal charges

New Hampshire Union Leader

September 02. 2014 9:55PM

MANCHESTER — The woman shot during a raid on her home last Wednesday will not likely face federal charges stemming from an investigation into a Manchester oxycodone ring, a federal prosecutor said.

Neighbors and relatives have identified Lillian Nunez as the resident who was shot when U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration authorities executed a search warrant at 110 Beech St., Apartment 3.

The search took place hours after police arrested four Manchester residents, two of them Nunez’ daughters, on conspiracy charges related to oxycodone trafficking, officials said.

John Kacavas, the U.S. Attorney for New Hampshire, said Lillian Nunez has not been arrested on federal charges. He said the raid on her apartment was conducted by the DEA and Manchester police officers assigned to a DEA task force.

“At this point, I do not anticipate additional arrests on federal warrants, but there may be on state (charges),” Kacavas said.

Authorities confiscated 1,600 oxycodone pills and $2,000 in cash when they arrested Johanna Nunez, Jennifer Nunez, Samuel Garcia and Raul A. “Legui” Hernandez last Wednesday, officials said. In court records, police said Hernandez brought oxycodone pills from New York into Manchester; Garcia and the Nunez sisters sold them to users for about $25 apiece.

“In general, when you have 1,000 or more oxycodone pills on the street, that’s a significant case,” Kacavas said.

Three of the four were scheduled Tuesday for court hearings regarding their continued federal detention. Jennifer and Johanna Nunez remain in federal dentention, and Hernandez’ hearing was still taking place late Tuesday afternoon when Kacavas spoke to the New Hampshire Union Leader.

The New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office, which investigates police shootings in the state, has remained cryptic about the shooting.

Officials have not named the victim. Authorities said she suffered non-fatal wounds when an officer’s gun discharged during the search.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Susan Morrell said New Hampshire State Police finished gathering evidence related to the shooting on Thursday and turned the apartment over to federal authorities, who finished their work on the search warrant.

No one answered the door at the third-floor apartment on Tuesday.A woman who lives on the second floor said no one has been upstairs since police finished the search. The resident, who only gave her first name, Erica, said three police officers stood outside her door Wednesday night and let no one into the front hallway.

She said she was surprised to hear about drugs.

“As far as I know, there were no drugs up there,” Erica said.

Crime Manchester Top Section Stories

More Headlines