Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
UNH men’s hockey goalie benched after arrest
Durham police received a report at 12:59 a.m. Sunday from a young woman who said she was a victim of assault, according to Deputy Chief Rene Kelley. He said when officers arrived near Mill Road in Durham, they came into contact with the woman and DeSmith.
After interviewing the woman and witnesses, the officers determined that DeSmith, 23, had assaulted her, Kelley said. DeSmith had to be physically restrained as he was being arrested, according to Kelley.
A Rochester native, DeSmith has been the Wildcats’ starting goalie since his freshman season in 2011. Last year, he posted a 20-16-0 record in net and three shutouts and helped the Wildcats reach the Hockey East Championship game, where they fell, 4-0, to UMass Lowell.
The night of his arrest, DeSmith was taken to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover to be evaluated before he was taken to Strafford County Jail. He was charged with one count of simple assault and one count of resisting arrest.
Kelley has not released the police report and said he will not because the case has not yet been adjudicated.
DeSmith is to be arraigned on Oct. 2.
READER COMMENTS: 10
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 1
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 4
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
- Man accused of stabbing man in Concord's White Park - 0
- Friends, co-workers mourn loss of Amherst mother and son - 4
- Vermont father, two sons facing charges for Canobie Lake Park scuffle - 2
- Son used AK-47 to kill mother, then himself in Amherst home - 37
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it
- Total Votes: 917