Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
UNH men's hockey goalie DeSmith suspended after assault arrest
Durham Police Department received a report at 12:59 a.m. on Aug. 31 from a young woman who stated she was a victim of assault, according to Durham Deputy Chief Rene Kelley.
Officers responded to the call and arrived on scene near Mill Road in Durham where they came into contact with the victim and DeSmith, said Kelley.
After interviewing the victim and witnesses, the officers on scene determined that the victim was assaulted by DeSmith. According to Kelley, DeSmith had to be physically restrained as he was being taken into custody.
DeSmith, 23, was brought to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover to be evaluated before he was taken to Strafford County jail. According to Foster's Daily Democrat, DeSmith was held on a $5,000 personal recognizance bail. He was charged with one count of simple assault and one count of resisting arrest.
Kelley said that the victim and DeSmith knew each other.
"The University of New Hampshire is aware of Casey DeSmith's arrest," the university said in its official statement. "The University takes the allegations very seriously and will always act to ensure the health and safety of our community.
The university said that it "will treat this report with the seriousness that it deserves and in a manner consistent with (its) handling of similar cases involving any UNH student."
DeSmith has been suspended from the men's ice hockey team pending further investigation, according to the university.
DeSmith will be arraigned Oct. 2.
A Rochester native, DeSmith has been the Wildcats' starting goalie since his freshman season in 2011. Last year, he posted a 20-16-0 record in net and three shutouts and helped the Wildcats reach the Hockey East Championship game where they fell 4-0 to UMass Lowell.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483