Historians want Belmont Mill saved again
Wallace Rhodes of the Belmont Heritage Commission stands in front of the historic Belmont Mill. (COURTESY LINDA FRAWLEY)
The mill was saved in the ‘90s with the help of a government grant, which expires in five years. Rhodes isn’t sure what will happen to the mill after that time if the town does not act.
The commission’s Linda Frawley agreed with Rhodes that the mill must be maintained beyond the next five years
“The heritage commission is keenly interested in the mill’s future and other significant village buildings that tell the Belmont community story,” Frawley said.
The mill has been recognized statewide for its historic value. In 2011, it was listed among 25 of New Hampshire’s greatest preservation achievements of the previous 25 years by the N.H. Preservation Alliance.
Years of neglect were followed by a five-alarm fire in August 1992. It appeared to be the final chapter, until the Belmont Historical Society, led by Rhodes, began its preservation effort, which managed to halt the building’s demolition by the town with an injunction in 1995.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 0
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 18
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 24
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama