All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Nashua man shoots, kills himself after being served eviction notice

Union Leader Correspondent

July 15. 2015 8:36PM
A Nashua man shot and killed himself at this Damon Avenue home after being served an eviction notice by sheriffs on Monday afternoon. (Kimberly Houghton)

NASHUA — A city resident being served an eviction notice shot and killed himself in his Damon Avenue home on Wednesday afternoon, according to authorities.

Representatives from the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office were in the process of serving an eviction notice about 2 p.m. Wednesday at 26 Damon Ave. when an occupant of the home shut the door and authorities heard what sounded like a gunshot.

“The subject went in and killed himself,” said Sgt. Tom Bergeron of the Nashua Police Department. “There was no standoff.”

Precautionary action was taken by police after hearing the gunshot, and the department’s Special Reaction Team responded to assist with the incident.

“We didn’t know what was going on. We could have been dealing with a barricaded subject,” said Bergeron.

A negotiator responded to assist with the case before the city’s SWAT team entered the home.

Bergeron said the man died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He did not believe that anyone else was home at the time of the shooting.

As of Wednesday evening, the name and age of the deceased man had not been released by authorities.

Small crowds of people gathered around the Damon Avenue area curious about the heavy police presence that remained in the quiet neighborhood throughout most of the afternoon and early evening.

Police said the public was not in any danger. The home where the shooting occurred is not far from The Big 1 ice cream stand and Lillian’s Motel near the Merrimack border.

People who identified themselves as family members stood outside of the house where the shooting took place late Wednesday evening speaking with police. They declined to comment on the incident.

Two police vehicles remained at the scene around 7:30 p.m., although much of the crowd had diminished. An orange eviction notice was visible on the front door of the home, and one of the side windows of the residence was broken.

City assessment data indicates that the home is owned by Kevin and George Cote. Public phone records list the occupants of the residence as Kevin and Pauline Cote.

There was no additional information available on Wednesday night.

Public Safety Nashua

More Headlines