Firefighters shoot water onto a gas leak in Londonderry Wednesday morning to help the gas dissipate. No other damage was reported. (ETHAN HOGAN/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDENT)
Forklift strikes propane tank at construction site
LONDONDERRY — A forklift struck the cover of an underground propane tank at a Londonderry subdivision Wednesday morning, causing a gas leak.
At the 36 Mantel Road subdivision construction site, the forklift hit the manhole cover atop a 500-gallon propane tank in the back yard of one of the finished homes, said Fire Battalion Chief Kevin Zins.
The home was occupied; Zins said no one was hurt.
Londonderry police and fire blocked off the area, which is being developed by La Monagne Builders Incorporated, during the incident.
To control spreading gas, firefighters sprayed water on the leak to dissipate the gas.
The tank was holding 400 gallons of propane at the time, which had to be let out before the tank could be safely removed and replaced, Zins said.
A burner unit was set up at the end of the gas line to further empty the tank, said Zins. The gas was then burned until the tank was empty.