Storm forces relocation of 2018 State AmStaff report
November 07. 2017 1:01AM
Last week’s rain and wind storm has forced the relocation of the 2018 New Hampshire Amateur Championship from North Conway Country Club.
The announcement was made on Monday by the New Hampshire Golf Association.
According to the NHGA, the golf course was heavily damaged by the storm. “The NHGA is disappointed to make this announcement,” the organization said in a news release, “but after a healthy conversation, all parties believe it is in the best interest of the club and all golfers that the championship be shifted to a new site for the upcoming year.”
The new site for the State Am has yet to be determined.
The NCCC representatives expressed their concerns about having the golf course in championship condition in July, according to the release.
Kevin Walker, head golf professional at NCCC provided a statement saying, “It is with great disappointment that, due to the severity of the recent storm, the North Conway Country Club will be unable to host the 2018 NH State Amateur Tournament. While our cleanup efforts this fall and into next spring will make the course playable to our membership and guests, we could not guarantee that we would be in a condition that is deserving of this prestigious event and that would showcase the beauty of our layout.
“While we are disheartened by this temporary setback, we look forward to continuing our close relationship with the NHGA and being bestowed with the honor of hosting the State Am in the near future,” said Walker.
“We’re certainly disappointed as we knew how much NCCC and the community as a whole was looking forward to embracing our championship,” said NHGA Executive Director Matt Schmidt. “However, after seeing the extensive damage the NHGA understands that the club’s first priority should be the health and well-being of the golf course. We understand and agree with the decision to move the event and will continue to offer any support we can as North Conway CC begins the cleanup process.”