All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Red Sox/MLB

Blue Jays owner considers selling team

December 06. 2017 10:59PM

TORONTO — Canadian telecom company Rogers Communications Inc. is considering selling the Toronto Blue Jays in an effort to generate cash that could be used in its core business, the company’s chief financial officer said.

The Blue Jays were ranked by Forbes as the 16th-most valuable MLB team this year out of 30, worth $1.3 billion.

Rogers should be able to sell it for about that sum, said Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist with Smith College in Northampton, Mass.. The team is in a large, wealthy city with a strong fan base, Zimbalist.

The Blue Jays were founded in 1977 and became back-to-back World Series champions in 1992 and 1993. Rogers, which operates cable TV and telecom service in Canada, bought 80 percent of the Jays in 2000 and the remaining 20 percent in 2004, as part of a strategy to obtain broadcasting rights for what is Canada’s only remaining MLB team.

Fisher Cats Red Sox/MLB

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Red Sox/MLB

NH Angle