Ex-boxing champ Vinny Paz charged with assaultProvidence (R.I.) Journal
January 02. 2018 9:31PM
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The Providence police have issued a warrant for the arrest of former boxing champion Vinny Paz in connection with a Tuesday assault which left another man with several broken teeth, the police said.
Maj. David Lapatin said the police had received a complaint from a man who said Paz, 55, of 54 Tivoli Court, Warwick, assaulted him late Monday-early Tuesday. Lapatin said the man suffered injuries — several broken teeth, a black eye and bites on his left hand that drew blood — that were serious enough to merit a charge of felony assault.
A police spokeswoman, Lindsay Lague, said Tuesday that a warrant had been signed.
In a brief statement to WPRI-TV, Paz said, as he got into his car, “The bottom line is, I was robbed. And when that happens, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do.”
On Tuesday afternoon, Paz wrote on Twitter: “NO COMMENT !!!! I’m the bad guy oh really ??? I’m the victim !!! STOP”
According to a police report, witnesses told them Paz showed up at a 310 Hawkins St. apartment at about 11:30 p.m. Monday and accused a man there of stealing $16,000 from his house.
As the two argued, the disagreement escalated into a fight.
A witness at the apartment said Paz and his girlfriend, who the witnesses said accompanied Paz to the apartment, fled when she told them she was going to call the police, which she did a few minutes after midnight.