All Sections

Home | Patriots/NFL

NFL Playoffs: Vikings win on miracle ending

Field Level Media
January 14. 2018 8:48PM
Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs celebrates after his game-winning touchdown catch against the New Orleans Saints at U.S. Bank Stadium. (Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports)

On the final play of Sunday’s NFC Divisional semifinal, the Minnesota Vikings pulled off a miracle.

Stefon Diggs made a leaping catch of Case Keenum’s throw to the right sideline and then ran down the sideline for a 61-yard touchdown as time expired, lifting Minnesota to a 29-24 win over the New Orleans Saints at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

Diggs made the catch at the New Orleans 34, spun away from Saints safety Marcus Williams and then raced untouched to the end zone, advancing the Vikings to the NFC title game at Philadelphia next Sunday.

The Saints grabbed a one-point lead with 25 seconds left on Wil Lutz’s 43-yard field goal, answering a 53-yarder by Kai Forbath with 1:29 remaining.

New Orleans took its first lead of the day at the 3:01 mark with a 14-yard scoring strike from Drew Brees to Alvin Kamara, Brees’ third touchdown pass of the second half.

Brees finished 25-of-40 for 294 yards with two interceptions. Keenum was also 25-of-40 for 318 yards, including the last 61 that kept Minnesota’s hopes of hosting the Super Bowl alive.

Minnesota dominated the first half, making life miserable for Brees and the high-powered New Orleans offense. In the first quarter, Brees threw six passes, completing one to his team and one to the Vikings. His one successful throw went for just 3 yards.

Minnesota forced a 3-and-out to start the game and marched 55 yards for the first touchdown. Jerick McKinnon capped the drive with a 14-yard run at the 9:45 mark of the first quarter for a 7-0 lead.

Kai Forbath upped the margin to 10 by converting a 20-yard field goal with 4:42 left in the quarter, finishing a seven-play, 79-yard drive. A 1-yard touchdown run by Latavius Murray with 9:58 remaining in the first half made it 17-0.

The Saints started their comeback late in the third quarter. Brees found Michael Thomas for a 14-yard scoring strike with 1:18 left, cutting the margin to 17-7. Brees and Thomas hooked up again for a 3-yard touchdown pass with 13:09 remaining, six plays after Marcus Williams intercepted Keenum and returned it 12 yards to the Vikings 30. Forbath increased the Minnesota advantage to 20-14 with a 49-yard field goal at the 10:12 mark.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Patriots/NFL