All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Animals

Pets rescued from Exeter house fire recovering

By JASON SCHREIBER
Union Leader Correspondent

February 15. 2018 8:18PM
Firefighters and paramedics treat some of the pets rescued from a house fire in Exeter Wednesday afternoon. (Courtesy ActionPage)



EXETER - A cat and two dogs rescued from a house fire in Exeter Wednesday afternoon continue to recover at a local veterinary hospital.

The pets suffered smoke inhalation during a fire that started in a dryer and spread to other parts of a home at 42 Donna Drive.

Fire Chief Brian Comeau said the homeowner arrived home to discover the fire and was able to get the animals outside where fire and rescue personnel treated them and provided oxygen with masks.

The pets were rushed to the Veterinary Emergency and Surgery Hospital of Brentwood.

Daisy, a 12-year-old Rottweiler mix, was stable Thursday evening and was making improvements, according to Lindsay Krieger, the hospital's administrator.

Zoey, a 4-year-old pitbull mix, remained in critical condition but was slowly being weaned off oxygen.

"Unfortunately, it's a wait and see. We don't know how she's going to respond until we get her fully awake from being sedated," Krieger said.

Krieger said Ollie, a 1-year-old cat, had improved and was expected to be returned to his owner. A second cat named Mars, 15, was also rescued but had to be euthanized, she said.

Comeau said the pets were in "really bad shape" when police, fire, rescue personnel and Exeter Hospital paramedics arrived at the scene. He said regular oxygen masks used on people were initially used on the pets, but they weren't very effective.

"It wasn't giving us the results that we wanted," he said.

The Kingston Fire Department soon arrived with pet oxygen masks. Comeau said they made the difference.

Kingston Fire Chief Bill Seaman said his firefighters were aware of the pet rescue and brought the proper masks to assist. He said the masks were purchased through a grant, but have had little use so far.

"This was the first time they were deployed to the point where I think they made a big difference," he said.

An online GoFundMe fundraiser called "Emergency Vet Visit" https://www.gofundme.com/7hzpgv-emergency-vet-visit has been set up to assist the family with the vet bill for the animals. The fund had raised more than $2,300 by Thursday afternoon.

jschreiber@newstote.com


Fires Animals Exeter


More Headlines