All Sections

Home | Weather

Mass. plans to apply for disaster aid

By ANTONIO PLANAS
Boston Herald

March 07. 2018 12:04AM




Gov. Charlie Baker said he “absolutely” intends to seek federal aid to help cover the cost of recovery from last week’s massive nor’easter.

“I think the big challenge that we’re all going to have is, once we get done with recovery, once people get the electricity back on, we’ve gotta make sure we work with our local colleagues and federal colleagues to collect the data that needs to be collected as quickly as we possibly can and as thoroughly as we can to ensure we get a good bid in,” Baker told reporters.

Baker said “absolutely” when asked if that meant he intends to seek federal reimbursement. “With the stuff the lieutenant governor and I saw over the weekend ... definitely,” Baker said.

The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency reported more than 40,000 households and businesses remained without power Monday night, down from nearly a half-million at the height of the storm. National Grid said 23,598 were without power, while Eversource reported 16,880 were without power.

Those companies expected to restore power to the majority of their customers Tuesday, shortly before another nor’easter is set to wallop Massachusetts.


Politics Weather


More Headlines

Gas company's lawsuit against town claims bias