All Sections

Home | Monarchs - Sponsored Content

Ward's OT goal lifts Monarchs over Admirals, 4-3

Monarchs Public Relations Coordinator

March 11. 2018 8:01PM
Manchester Monarchs Cory Ward and his teammates Eric Schurhamer, left, and Kevin Morris, celebrate Ward's overtime goal to beat the Norfolk Admirals, 4-3, Sunday at SNHU Arena in Manchester. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)

MANCHESTER – The Manchester Monarchs battled back from a two-goal deficit and defeated the Norfolk Admirals, 4-3, in overtime on Sunday afternoon at SNHU Arena.

The Monarchs battled back from a two-goal deficit to defeat the Admirals , 4-3. The Admirals (23-33-5-1) opened the scoring at 3:20 of the first period on a power-play goal by Michael Young, scoring his th goal of the season. Darik Angeli fed a pass from the goal line to Young, stationed at the far post for a quick one-timer, past Monarchs goaltender Evan Cowley past his glove, to give the Admirals a 1-0 lead.

Norfolk extended their lead when Tommy Schutt scored his eighth goal of the season at 4:03 of the first period. After receiving a pass in the neutral zone, Domenic Alberga skated to the top of the left circle, where he found Schutt crashing the net, in the slot, where he beat Cowley to the glove side, to make the score, 2-0.

The Monarchs (36-20-3-2) cut the deficit in half at 4:35 of the first period on the 18th goal of the season by Spencer Watson. Skating down the left wing, Matt Marcinew dropped the puck back to Watson in the left-wing circle, where he wristed a shot past the blocker of Admirals goaltender, Jamie Murray, to make the game, 2-1.

The Admirals took a two-goal lead at :32 of the second period, on the 10th goal of the season by Alberga. Brodie Dupont took a slapshot from the top of the left circle, where at the top of the crease, Alberga picked up the rebound and took a shot, past the glove of Cowley, to make the score, 3-1.

The Monarchs answered back 23 seconds later, on the 5th goal of the season by Colton Saucerman, at :55 of the second period. On a two-on-two, Rob Hamilton skated down the center lane and hit Saucerman with the puck along the right side, where in the right-wing circle he let a wrister go, past the stick of Murray, to make the score, 3-2.

Manchester tied the game at 15:44 of the second period, on the 31st goal of the season by Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman. Watson skated through the neutral zone and hit LaVallee-Smotherman with a pass crossing into the offensive zone, where he skated in on a breakaway and backhanded a shot, top shelf over Murray’s glove, to tie the game, 3-3.

The game could not be decided in regulation and headed to overtime, where Cory Ward scored his seventh goal of the season at :30 of the extra frame. Kevin Morris picked up a rebound in the slot and sent the puck back to Ward in the center of the circles, where he took a wrist shot over Murray’s stick, to give the Monarchs a 4-3 victory.

The Monarchs are back in action Friday at 7 p.m., beginning a two-game homestand against the Utah Grizzlies from SNHU Arena.

NOTES: Cory Ward has scored a goal in both games since returning from Ontario. ... The Monarchs have given up the first goal of the game for ten straight games. ... Evan Cowley made 30 saves on 33 shots.

Monarchs Manchester