All Sections

Home | Crime

Waffle House shooting suspect is in custody after manhunt

New York Daily News

April 23. 2018 10:05PM
Travis Reinking, the suspect in a Waffle House shooting in Nashville, is under arrest by Metro Nashville Police Department in a wooded area in Antioch, Tennessee, U.S., April 23, 2018. (Courtesy Metro Nashville Police Department/Handout via REUTERS)

Suspected Waffle House gunman Travis Reinking was arrested Monday afternoon after hiding in the woods of suburban Nashville, more than a day after the partially nude suspect killed four people at the restaurant.

Undercover detectives with Metro Nashville's narcotics unit found the 29-year-old Illinois native just after 1 p.m. in a wooded area behind the Antioch apartment complex where he lived since last fall.

Someone called the cops to say they saw a man who matched Reinking's description sneaking through a construction site into the secluded area.

Reinking got on the ground as soon as one detective who saw him drew his weapon, squad leader Lt. Carlos Laura said at a news conference.

"As soon as the detectives saw him, there was really no communication," said Laura, who added he wasn't at the scene when Reinking was arrested.

Detectives found a Kimber semi-automatic handgun, .45-caliber ammunition, a holster and a flashlight inside the black backpack he was wearing at the time.

Reinking wore a red long sleeve T-shirt — with tears showing scratches on his right shoulder — and dirt-covered jeans when he was photographed in the back of a police cruiser.

The suspected killer asked for a lawyer and refused to give a statement when cops brought him to a local precinct, police spokesman Don Aaron added.

Authorities are unsure how long Reinking was in that wooded area, located about a mile south of the Waffle House he sprayed with bullets 36 hours earlier.

On Sunday, a SWAT team combed through his apartment, talking through a loudspeaker in search of Reinking.

Roughly 160 Nashville officers searched through brutal rain, aided by state troopers, the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents.

Nashville Mayor David Briley said the next step was to "help the families who lost their loved ones and who are still suffering in the hospital right now. We need to move on as a community and do what we can to curb this violence in the future."

Survivors and loved ones are still trying to grapple with the tragedy, including the brother of Akilah Dasilva, who was fatally shot inside the Waffle House.

"I'm just still processing it in my head," said Beatty Dasilva, who was at the eatery with Akilah when the gunfire broke out, on CNN after Reinking's arrest.

"My mom is happy that he's caught. It's a sense of relief, but at the same time I'm still getting it all processed in my head."

Akilah Dasilva's girlfriend, Shanita Waggoner, 21, is in stable condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after being wounded, a spokesman confirmed.

Reinking got out of his gold Chevy Silverado and first shot Waffle House worker Taurean Sanderlin, 29, and Joe Perez, 20, outside the restaurant. Inside, he also killed 21-year-old DeEbony Groves and wounded Sharita Henderson, who remains in stable condition at Vanderbilt.

"Me, my husband and sons are broken right now with this loss," Perez's mother, Trisha Perez, said in a Facebook post. "Our lives are shattered."

Crime Public Safety Social issues Gun Control

More Headlines