All Sections

Home | High School Sports

NHIAA Div. II Boys' Lacrosse Championship: Another title for Cougars

New Hampshire Union Leader

June 10. 2018 2:52AM

Derryfield's John Anderson, facing, hugs teammate Avry Truex as they celebrate the team's 11-6 win over Portsmouth in the Div. II NHIAA Lacrosse Championship game at Exeter High School Saturday. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)

EXETER - Even when the NHIAA Division II boys' lacrosse championship game was tied late in the third quarter, Derryfield School of Manchester coach Chris Hettler felt confident his team would win Saturday night at Bill Ball Stadium.

The Cougars scored twice before the end of the third quarter and led the rest of the way en route to a 11-6 victory over Portsmouth.

Derryfield has won three straight D-II titles and Hettler said he thinks his program's unbeaten streak reached 54 games with Saturday's triumph.

Derryfield junior John Anderson broke the 5-5 tie with 1:46 left in the third quarter, beginning a 6-1 Cougars run. Classmate Jon Maclean scored with 5.7 seconds left in the third frame to give the Cougars a two-goal lead entering the final 12 minutes.

"When it got to 5-5, I still was like, OK, you know what? These guys are winners..They're going to make some plays on the field and they'll find a way to do it," Hettler said. "But once we got to seven (goals), I was like, OK, here we go."

Two goals from Maclean and another from Gunnar Senatore over the opening 3:58 of the fourth quarter created a 10-5 Cougars lead. Hugh MacDonald scored second-seeded Portsmouth's lone fourth-quarter goal with 5:31 remaining, cutting Derryfield's lead to 10-6.

Portsmouth coach Chad Vischer was impressed by the Cougars' defensive performance.

"They doubled the ball nicely," Vischer said. "They played good solid defense, and they come at you, and when they do things happen."

The top-seeded Cougars (20-0) did not score in the opening 12 minutes but tallied three goals in the second quarter to take a 3-2 lead into halftime. Two goals from Senatore and another from Anderson over the final 5:32 of the half propelled Derryfield to the advantage. Anderson scored the go-ahead goal from long range with 30.7 seconds before halftime.

"I knew the team was going to come together," Derryfield senior attackman Connor Glosner said. "It just was a matter of time."

Portsmouth (17-3) led, 1-0, after the first quarter on a goal from sophomore Ryan Groleau. Junior Dom Iafolla scored 16 seconds into the second frame to double the Clippers' advantage.

Portsmouth faceoff specialist Cole Brams won 14 of 19 faceoffs.

Hettler said the Cougars could not let Portsmouth use Brams' faceoff success and zone defense to dictate a slow pace.

"We knew that was going to be important for us to not allow that to happen and kind of make sure we got the tempo going and get the pace at the level we wanted to play at," Hettler said.

Maclean and Senatore both had a hat trick while Glosner and Anderson added two goals each for Derryfield. Eric Mayer logged a goal, Avry Truex made 13 saves and Alex Neville tallied two assists for Derryfield. Anderson also won five faceoffs.

Groleau and Oliver Allen both had two goals for the Clippers. Portsmouth also received a goal each from MacDonald and Iafolla and eight saves from Nolan Pafford. Brams had two assists.

Both teams scooped up 17 ground balls.

"We love where we are," Hettler said. "We're continuing to win games. I think it is 54 games (straight) but I'm just happy for these seniors that they were able to go out with another championship."

Derryfield players celebrate their 11-6 win over Portsmouth in the Division II boys' lacrosse championship game at Exeter High School on Saturday. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)

Sports NHIAA Exeter