All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Welding in garage starts fire that destroys family home in Derry

By RYAN LESSARD
Union Leader Correspondent

June 11. 2018 9:26PM
A fire started by welding equipment destroyed a Derry home on Rockingham Road Monday. (JEFF HASTINGS)



DERRY — A fire that began with the use of welding equipment in a garage destroyed a single family home at 134 Rockingham Road on Tuesday.

Battalion Chief James Richardson of the Derry Fire Department said a male homeowner was welding in his garage shop when the fire started. The investigation is ongoing, but Richardson thinks the welding torch ignited some flammable substance or fuel.

The homeowner helped his wife vacate the home and told fire crews that nobody else was inside.

Richardson said the fire spread too quickly so firefighters worked defensively and did not go inside.

“It was significantly involved on our arrival,” Richardson said.

Richardson said the house was a total loss and homeowners have been connected with the American Red Cross to provide resources.

The call came in at 11:16 a.m. and crews were on scene at 11:22 a.m. They worked the fire until 4:38 p.m.

ldnews@unionleader.com


Human Interest General News Auburn Chester Derry East Derry Hudson Londonderry Salem Windham


More Headlines