Canterbury man charged with 2nd-degree murder in mother's stabbing death
June 23. 2018 1:07AM
CONCORD — A Canterbury man was being held without bail after being charged with second-degree murder in the May stabbing death of his mother, authorities said Friday.
Phillip Nash, 21, waived Friday’s arraignment and faces a bail hearing July 19 in Merrimack County Superior Court, according to prosecutor Jeffery Strelzin.
Nash also was charged in the theft of his mother’s car and of an employer’s truck, according to an announcement from the state Attorney General’s Office.
Chichester resident Frances Nash, 51, was reported missing on May 19. She was found dead in Canterbury two days later. An autopsy revealed she had been stabbed multiple times, the release said.
An arrest warrant was issued for her son May 21 in the vehicle thefts and he was arrested that day in Emporia, Va. He waived extradition back to New Hampshire.
Nash was scheduled to be arraigned on the murder charge Friday in Merrimack County Superior Court.
Frances Nash was found stabbed to death in a wooded area in Canterbury after State Police announced the night before they were looking for her and her 2011 Mercury SUV.
Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jennie V. Duval had determined that she suffered multiple stab wounds.
Her son was arrested by Virginia State Police along Interstate 95, near the North Carolina border.
Six days before his mother’s body was found, “competency concerns” were cited in the dismissal of an unlawful possession of alcohol charge pending against Phillip Nash.
According to documents on file in the Franklin circuit court, Nash was arrested by Boscawen police Dec. 18, 2017, at the Cumberland Farms on King Street for being intoxicated and being about a month shy of the legal age to drink or possess alcohol.
Nash pleaded not guilty and on May 15, Judge Edward Gordon dismissed the charge.
On Jan. 1, 2017, he was charged with three counts of domestic violence-related simple assault and resisting arrest for allegedly assaulting his mother.
Police said he then tried to evade them by jumping out the second-story window of the North Main Street apartment in Boscawen, where his mother lived.
The Class A misdemeanor complaints alleged that Nash grabbed his mother by the arms and physically removed her from her vehicle, throwing her to the pavement in the parking lot of 4 Eel St. in Boscawen on Jan. 1 at 10 a.m.
A second count of simple assault alleged that he placed her in a choke hold inside her vehicle during the same incident.
Nash was also charged with simple assault for wrestling Frances Nash to the ground inside her apartment to block her access to her cellphone, to prevent her from calling police, according to the criminal complaint filed by Boscawen police Lt. Jason Killary.
All of the charges related to the alleged assault of Nash’s mother were dropped on May 1, 2017, on the condition he undergo a mental health evaluation within six months, follow any recommendations and provide proof to the state of completion.
The agreement also required Nash to remain on good behavior for one year.
Nash’s alleged failure to comply with the terms of the agreement resulted in a probation violation charge being filed.