All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Kayaker's body recovered from Piscataquog River

New Hampshire Union Leader

July 14. 2018 12:08AM
Divers and boats search for a missing kayaker on the Piscataquog River Friday morning. The woman's body was recovered. (TODD FEATHERS/UNION LEADER)

MANCHESTER — A day after a 32-year-old city woman fell out of her kayak and didn’t resurface, dive teams located her body and pulled it from the Piscataquog River early Friday.

Authorities did not identify the kayaker but said she and three friends were returning to the boat landing near 140 Electric St. about 9 p.m. Thursday when she fell out of her kayak.

The woman appears to have been new to kayaking and she was paddling a boat borrowed from one of the friends she was with, Marine Patrol Sgt. Dave Ouellette said.

“Unfortunately, she was not wearing a flotation device,” he added. “That may have been a contributing factor, at this point in the investigation. Alcohol also appears to have been a contributing factor.

Search teams scoured the river Thursday night but called the operation off after 45 minutes. They returned to the water about 8:30 a.m. Friday and a diver located the woman’s body in about 14 feet of water at 9:07 a.m.

There are no strong currents in that area of the river, Department of Fish and Game Lt. William Boudreau said, but the water was murky.

The search was assisted by a witness on shore who saw the kayaker fall into the water and helped authorities narrow their search grid.

According to a news release from the Manchester Fire Department, the report of the missing kayaker came in around 8:49 p.m. Thursday night.

They responded to an area under the Biron Bridge near 140 Electric St.

“Other kayakers as well as a homeowner on shore witnessed the kayaker going under,” fire officials said.

Manchester firefighters searched the area where the accident happened without finding the woman, and members of Nashua Fire Department’s dive team searched below the surface.

Public Safety Deaths in the news

More Headlines

Somersworth man dies in Barrington crash