Her child was locked in a washing machine filling with water. Now she's warning parents | New Hampshire
All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Her child was locked in a washing machine filling with water. Now she's warning parents

By ALLYSON CHIU
The Washington Post

July 17. 2018 9:07PM




It’s not unusual for Lindsey and Alan McIver’s children to get up before them.

Most mornings, the kids entertain themselves for about 10 to 15 minutes, coloring and playing, before going to wake their parents, Lindsey McIver told The Washington Post.

But on Tuesday last week, the Colorado couple were awakened by their panicked 4-year-old son Jace, crying so hard he could barely speak.

Lindsey and Alan were only able to make out three of Jace’s words: Kloe. Inside. Washer.

In a Facebook post that has since been shared more than 300,000 times, Lindsey detailed the harrowing experience of rescuing her 3-year-old daughter Kloe.

“I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine,” Lindsey wrote. “We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one.”

Despite telling their children to stay away from the washer, Lindsey told The Post she believes Kloe climbed in and Jace shut the door, pushing the machine’s buttons while his sister was inside.

Through the washer door’s clear window, they saw Kloe tumbling around as water poured in around her.

“I could tell she was screaming, but the machine’s airtight,” Alan told Good Morning America in an interview Monday. “I yanked on the door, I pulled so hard I moved the machine from the wall, but it’s locked, you can’t get it open.”

They had just purchased and installed the washer the day before and weren’t familiar with how it worked, Lindsey told The Post. After pulling on the door that didn’t open it, Lindsey said her husband started pushing buttons on the machine, eventually pressing pause followed by power. The door unlocked. Kloe was freed.

“It was terrifying,” Lindsey said. “Since it was a new machine we weren’t positive on how to use it or unlock it. We knew it locked, but we didn’t know if we would even be able to get it back open at that point, so we were just grateful to be able to figure out how to open it and get her out quickly.”

Aside from some small bumps on her head and wet clothes, Kloe had escaped from the washer relatively unscathed, according to the Facebook post. But, the toddler learned her lesson.

“She just said ‘We better not do that again,’” Lindsey said.


Public Safety


More Headlines

Conn.: 70 people overdose on K2 in one day